Supporting Other Staff in Crisis Intervention
In work areas where more than one staff member is present, it is necessary for staff teams to discuss and commit to a common strategy for assisting as a third party support to staff dealing with an escalated client.
Below is an effective model for third party assistance:
- Ensure all staff understand the process for assistance.
- Ensure all staff are committed to the process, and all staff accept the responsibility of their role in support to other staff.
- Engage only your co-worker who is directly involved in the crisis event.
- Speak only to your co-worker, do not engage the other party.
- Do as your co-worker requests.
- If altercation is in an open area, approach from the side, stop and address your co-worker by name from a distance of 2 – 3 meters.
- Example: Knock on the office door, open the door and address your co-worker by name…“Sheila, I heard yelling. Is everything okay?”